Sunday, October 6, 2013

Eating healthy…is it worth it?

This to me is a very important question because it’s no secret that everyone needs food to live, and most people have certain foods that they like. The only problem is most of the food we like doesn’t like us back, and by that I mean I could kill us. And for me this brings up an interesting dilemma, should you enjoy life while you have it by eating the foods you like even though it could shorten your life, or do you eat healthily (and in most cases miserably) but possibly extend your life?

I think that this all depends on what you want your food to do for you. For example, if you’re planning on running a marathon it probably wouldn't be a wise choice to stuff yourself full of Big Macs, but if you don’t have any plans for the day that would require extreme energy output then I say go ahead and eat it. The philosophy that I try to go by is that life is short so you should do what you want to in order to make sure it is a good life. So let’s say the marathon is very important to you, then you shouldn't let your eating get in the way of that.

The next thing I would like to talk about is the health risks that are associated with eating whatever you want. It would be hard for me to justify dying at 30 because you decided to eat what ever you wanted, you must find a balance. It is up to everyone to decide how much life eating what they please could potentially be worth. Another that I am going to group with health risks is quality of life because I feel that they go hand in hand. The whole point of the blog is try to inform you to make your life better by not worrying so much about what you eat, but in some cases it can make your life worse. If you have ever seen the show “My Half Ton Life” on TLC you know just how awful it can be to live a life that is dominated by obesity. Most of us will never make it one thousand pounds plus, but what they go through could be exactly what you got through, just to a lesser extent. Obesity has also been linked to several different types of cancers as well as diabetes and many more ailments, all of these could have serious effects on your life.

Now its time for me to attempt to make the argument for eating healthy. Like I mentioned before, eating healthily can be a great thing if your life revolves around being super in shape, or you absolutely love sports. In these cases eating unhealthily could cause these parts of your life to suffer because you’re not fueling your body the way that in need to be fueled. The last reason, which I could think of to eat right, is simply because you enjoy it. Most people, my self included, can’t stand the idea of eating things that are good for your body for pleaser, but some people do and to them I say “good job”.


So to rap up this blog, I say weigh the risks and do what makes you happy. Don’t listen to what the rest of the world has to say about what you eat, eat what you want because after all, life is short! (593 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment