Sunday, January 26, 2014

School Lunches

There is a problem with our lunch system. Because of all of the obesity in this country people like Michel Obama felt like they should "help". One way that she thinks that she is helping is by ruining school lunches and making them healthier (which I can see why) but also reducing the serving sizes so that seventh through twelfth graders do not exceed 850 calories per day. I have a problem with this because not everyone is overweight or obese, in fact the minority are, only one third. I don’t understand why if two thirds of the country’s children are a healthy weight we should cater to third, and that third, based on what I have seen, don’t like those changes either.

I am alright with trying to add more nutrients to school meals, but I think that the idea of reducing calories is stupid. I especially don’t like it after I get done lifting (everyday) or when I have an intense practice or game after school. Based on a reliable looking online calorie calculator (http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=17&csex=m&cheightfeet=6&cheightinch=2&cpound=170&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.725&x=78&y=11) I need over thirty two thousand calories a day to maintain my weight and over four thousand calories to increase it, which I am trying to do. If we assume that for breakfast you eat one sixth of our calories, for lunch one third and for dinner one half. That’s means for lunch I need to get about thirteen hundred thousand calories (and I think that guess is low). That means that I need to buy two lunches daily, and that doesn’t make my mom very happy.

I have an idea that I think could help this problem. We shouldn’t pretend like all students are the same because even Helen Keller could have seen that they are not. Some people have higher metabolisms than others, some people are bigger or taller, and many people have different weight loss goals than others. I think that part of the decision should be up to the student, if the want to eat unhealthy or more calories that their bodies need we should just let them. We should also have a line that is dedicated to active students, this line would serve meals that are very high in calories and carbs and help to give the athletes that fuel they need and are some times not getting with the current system.


Another idea that I have that I think is pretty darn smart is one where coaches and gym teachers rate how hard the kid is going on some sort of scale that has yet to be created (perhaps color coded) and you can only get the meals that correspond to your color and up. Some may say that this would make the kids with salads feel bad when they sit down and see all of there friends eating a juicy hamburger, but to that I would say first of all quit being so sensitive and second, that is just motivation for them to try harder in there gym class or sporting event.

No comments:

Post a Comment