Sunday, December 15, 2013

Farmers

Since this whole thing is about food, I thought that I would do a little thing about how we get food. Because that’s kind of important.

Most of my family on my dad’s side comes from a small farming town in Dubuque county. About three hundreds people live there, and since my grandma and grandpa had ten kids and all of my aunts and uncles had about five kids, our family makes up a pretty big part of the towns population.

In the 1950’s my grandpa started a Feed store (I will explain what that is in a little bit) and then when he retired he gave his business to my two of my uncles. They have since opened three more stores.

A feed store is what you may see on the side of the road when you are driving in the country. They normally have a few large silver silos and trucks and large machinery sitting around them. What they do is they store farmers crop for them and then turn it into animal feed (as the name suggests). During the summer time, when there is no crop to be harvested and stored) they also sell literally tons of fertilizer for farmers to put on there fields.

Just think how bad the word would be if there weren’t people who did that stuff or, even worse, the farmers them selves. This country isn’t like some developing country where if you are not a farmer you are a warrior, so if you don’t want to die you have to farm. These people choose to do this. That means choosing to wake up before the sun comes up, and going to bed after it goes down. Most of them are very smart and could very easily be doing a job that is physically easier and be making more money doing it.


Farmers help to feed the country, as well as give America a very valuable material for export, corn is Americas second largest cash crop behind Marijuana (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1053757/pg1). (349 words)  

No comments:

Post a Comment