Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cream Puffs

Somehow, for the first seven teen years that I spend on this planet I managed to never eat a cream puff. You can imagine my excitement when I tried my first one ever and they turned out to be arguably the best thing that I had eaten this month.

For those of you who, like my old self, have never had a cream puff, what it is is it is a round ball of flaky goodness that incases a cool cream center. When bitten this cream center explodes in your mouth and gives you a blast of unparalleled flavor. The only problem with these cream puffs is that when you get them from the store, like we did, you have to wait for them to thaw out before you can enjoy them. The time that it takes to let them thaw out can be compared to the time that it takes for something to finish cooking in the microwave, by that I mean that it seems to take longer than it should.

When my dad first threw one at me (not to me, at me) and said “try it”, I was hesitant because I didn’t really know what it was. I had heard about them and how good they were, but I didn’t really know. When I held it my hand for the first time it felt cold, my teeth hurt when something really cold touches them, this was concerning because I knew that based on the name there must be cream inside, this cream I assumed would be cold. My fear was that it would explode in my mouth and cause me some pain, however the fear was misplaced for when I bit into it and it turned out to be wonderful.


One thing out the experience that I am slightly embarrassed by (other than being scared about eating a cream puff) is how long it took me to figure out why was why the cream in cream puffs tasted so similar to the chocolate pies from Kathy’s Pies that I so much enjoy. I told my family about the observation that I made and I was immediately laughed at. I soon realized why. Apparently chocolate pies are not called “Chocolate Pies” but are instead called “Chocolate Cream Pies”. Then I came to the realization that the cream in cream puffs and the cream in chocolate cream pies was the same cream! Needless to say I felt pretty stupid. (410 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment