Sunday, February 2, 2014

Drinks

Food: any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/food?s=t). When I saw this it made me realize that I have almost completely forgotten about the other half of food that is not really thought of when you think of “food”. Dinks.  So I will do just that.

When I was trying to think about what to write about on the topic of drinks the first thing that came to my mind was the age old debate of skim, one percent, two percent, or whole.  I personally prefer skim and based on some not very scientific research that I did while working last night (I stock milk amongst other things) I determined that skim milk is also the preferred milk of the people who shop at hyvee drug store number six. There is only one or two arguments for anything except skim and they are “it tastes better” and “it has more vitamins in it”. Neither of them are very good. Taste is just an opinion and skim milk is almost always vitamin fortified. Plus skim milk has a lot less fat in it.

The next thing that came to my mind was how annoyed I get when people talk about how they do not like water. Water can be the best tasting thing in the world if you want it to be, for example if you go outside in 90 degree weather and do wind sprints for an hour I guarantee you that when you’re done that water will be the best tasting thing in the world. Another way to make water taste better is to imagine a child from a third world country standing next to you when you say “no thanks, water is to boring”.


The last thing that I would like to speak about is the difference between Poweraid and Gatorade. There is a difference. Gatorade is owned by Pepsi and Poweraid is Cokes attempt to get in on that market. I have had quite a bit of both and I think most people agree with me that Gatorade is definitely better tasting, but what I didn’t know until I took a class was that Powerais is actually better, in terms of what’s in it. It has more sodium, a large part of what you sweat out, and also it has more potassium which helps prevent cramps. So I suppose Poweraid is actually that more intelligent choice. (415 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment