Sunday, September 22, 2013

Game Day Foods (Spectator)

Hello Readers,
I am writing this blog after just spending an afternoon with my family watching some great football games and enjoying some great game day snacks that I thought I would share with the few people that will read this. The foods I will be talking about will be fatty, calorie filled, and what my dad calls “heart stoppers”. For those reason I would advise anyone who has a lack of self control when it comes to food to stop reading now…or your heart might be the one stopping.

The first food I would like to discuss is a personal favorite of mine, bacon wrapped lil’ smokies. These little pieces of heaven are, as the name suggests, little smokies that have been wrapped in candied bacon and attached with a tooth pick sticking through both of them. I will admit that I have never prepared this delicacy, so I am not as informed as I would like to be on how to cook the smokies, all in know is that it involves a crock pot. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I do however know that to candy the bacon you simply sprinkle brown sugar over the strips. When these two delicious things come together they create quite possibly the best game day snake ever. When you bring this to a party it says “I made the most labor intensive snack, therefore I am the best one to invite over for the next game".

Another essential for any game day party are wings. I would go into detail about how to prepare wings, but I normally just buy them or someone else brings them so I really have no idea how to make them. Of the people who bring  the best wings by far is Matt, a family friend. He has perfected his “super-secret seductive $awws”, giving it exactly the right amount of spice and tang. This sauce could easily go up against any Buffalo Wild Wings sauce and destroy it. The only place that wings fell short to bacon wrapped lil’ smokies is the messiness factor. The smokies have a tooth pick to grab allowing you to check your phone of grab the remote without getting everything dirty. I think that everyone knows that you aren't going to eat wings without getting everything you touch dirty.


There are many more foods to eat on game day, some that are unique to my family and some that are universal favorites. A description of some of the foods that my family and I enjoy and that are not so well known may be coming in a later post. See you then!

PS-if anyone other than Ms. A reads this and thinks they have a better sauce than the  super-secret seductive $awws (and you’re not creepy), send me some and I’ll be the judge. (477 words)


No comments:

Post a Comment